POLICIES AND DISCLOSURES
Corporate Integrity and Corporate Relationships
Since its founding in 1984, the Center has committed to professional integrity in the conduct of its business and in its relationships with all those with whom it works. As a free standing, unaffiliated nonprofit corporation, the Center strives to preserve and maintain its autonomy and independence at all times and in all respects.
The Center adheres to the following guiding principles with respect to all charitable contribution support, all contracts and agreements for services and products, and all marketing activities:
• The Center shall at all times maintain its independence and autonomy to pursue its Mission, Vision, Values and to maintain its public benefit purposes free of outside influence or the appearance of such influence.
• The integrity, professionalism and accountability of all Center programs, publications, communications, research and other projects and activities are solely the responsibility of the Center.
• At all times in the pursuit of its Mission and Vision, the Center shall strive to foster an atmosphere that promotes civil discourse and the robust exchange of ideas.
The Center is and shall be solely responsible for the structure, direction, measurement, administration and control of its programs, projects and events, and for all Center operations. The acceptance of financial support or other beneficence from any outside source, or the fact of a contract or agreement with any other party, does not and shall not mean or imply the Center’s endorsement or approval of any such party’s activities, operations, products or services.
The Center encourages its supporters to permit public acknowledgement by name. The Center does not accept anonymous gifts from corporations, including nonprofit organizations, faith-based and fraternal organizations, professional associations or business leagues. When an individual donor wishes to remain anonymous, gifts and grants with that philanthropic gesture must comply with other provisions of this policy.
All philanthropic support of the Center shall be recognized, disclosed or included on the Center’s website, and in appropriate publications from time to time. Public disclosure of commercial transactions which are protected by agreement or applicable law may be made in a manner consistent with such limitations as determined by the Center CEO with the advice and consent of the board.
All Mission-related and commercial business relationships between and among the Center for Practical Bioethics and all outside parties, including but not limited to, all donors, contributors, for-profit and nonprofit businesses of all types, governmental agencies, associations and academic institutions, shall comply with and adhere at all times to the Center’s Corporate Integrity Policy.
All contracts and agreements, including but not limited to commercial, sales, marketing, advocacy, grants, licensing, joint venture, and sponsorship agreements, entered into by the Center with another party shall comply with and adhere at all times to the Center’s Corporate Integrity Policy.
The Center shall not enter into any contract, agreement, arrangement or relationship at any time, with any party, which does not comply with and adhere to the Center’s current Corporate Integrity Policy.
As a nonprofit corporation organized and operating under the laws of the State of Kansas and qualified as a tax-exempt, public benefit organization under federal law, in furtherance of the Center’s Mission, Vision and public benefit Values, the Center shall comply at all times with all applicable laws and regulations.
Originally adopted in separate actions by the Board of Directors
October 16, 2012
Amended on May 17, 2016
Combined for website digital display
May 18, 2016
Approved July 15, 2020
The Center for Practical Bioethics (“CPB” or “We”) respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This privacy notice discloses the privacy practices for www.PracticalBioethics.org (our “Website”) and the types of information that may be collected or provided when you visit, access, or interact with our Website. This privacy notice also describes our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website;
- In e-mail, text, social media contact, and other electronic messages between you and this Website; and
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party website and services, if those applications or advertising are integrated into the Website or include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- CPB offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by CPB or any third party; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on this Website.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information through which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline ("personal information"), and about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided when you subscribe to our communications or request further services.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses) if you contact us.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website, and of the fulfillment of your orders, including contact information (like name and shipping address) and financial information (like credit card number, expiration date).
From time-to-time our Website requests information via surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and you may choose whether or not to participate and therefore disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address) and demographic information (such as zip code, age level). Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically may include personal information or we may associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns, recognize you when you return to our Website, etc.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we automatically collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill your orders or to contact you if we have trouble processing an order.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Information
We will not sell or rent your personal information to any third party. We will not disclose or share your personal information except as follows:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, we may use or transmit the personal information necessary to ship your order to you.
- To respond to you regarding the reason you contacted us.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of CPB, our employees, supporters, volunteers, or others.
The Website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Opt-Out. You may opt out of any future non-transactional contacts from us at any time by contacting us via telephone at (816) 221-1100 or via email at email@example.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you can opt out by following the instructions provided in the email. This opt out does not apply to information provided to CPB as a result of the purchase of a product or service or other transactions.
- Deletion / Correction. You may also send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us or to express any concern you have about our use of your data. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We take precautions to protect your information. Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the Web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or through any of its features, register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us via telephone at (816) 221-1100 or via email at email@example.com.